Do I need any documentation to take my child across a border?

Category: Uncategorized

I am divorced with a child. Are there any rules for taking kids across the border into another country or out of state?

Depending on whether there is a another parent who shares custody and is still alive and who has primary custody of a minor aged child, that may make it necessary to bring along extra documentation to get a child across a border into another country. Even if the child has a passport they still may require proof that the child is allowed to cross the border and specifically ask for how long. You may need a signed and notarized statement from the non-traveling parent who shares custody after a divorce stating that the child or children are permitted to go on this particular trip and what dates they are allowed to be gone. It may seem silly to two levelheaded parents but it is a safety feature for the child or children to help ensure that they are not being kidnapped or taken without permission. The document is easy to have done and inexpensive. There are notaries all over most cities. They are easy to find in any phone book. You pay the small fee, sign the book and fingerprint their journal. They they put a notary stamp on your letter and sign it. To cross across state borders it is way less likely that documentation like that would even be checked, but they may still be required in divorce or custody settlements or by local laws, so make sure you know what is required. Not only does that extra piece of paper help to protect your child, it helps to protect your rights as one of the child or children’s parents. Mama Nono

Share and Enjoy: These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Digg
  • Furl
  • Simpy
  • Spurl
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati
  • YahooMyWeb

The answer to "Do I need any documentation to take my child across a border?"

Question asked on February 20, 2011at 4:00 pm:: Comments (0)

There are no comments for this answer yet.

Click here to Ask a Granny question!

Search "Ask Granny" :

Subscribe To Ask Granny

FREE "Living A Dream Life" Newsletter!


Get " Ask Granny "
Updates via mail!
(Send twice monthly)

Sitemap | About Ask Granny | Link To Granny